Tahini is a paste made from ground, hulled sesame seeds. It is extremely high in protein, calcium and omega-3’s. These Protein Bites are definitely my new fave. Gluten free, refined sugar free and delicious! Be flexible and use whatever nuts and seeds you have in the pantry, but keep everything else the same to ensure you have the right consistency. A mini power meal on the go!
- 250g nuts (I used almonds, walnuts, cashews and Brazil nuts)
- 1 scoop (30g) protein powder
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- Coconut oil
- Shredded coconut
- Blend the nuts and transfer into a large bowl.
- Blend the dates, protein powder, coconut and cacao and add to the bowl.
- Add the tahini and rice malt syrup and combine until a consistent mixture forms. You may need to use your hands here, to make sure the dates are spread evenly throughout the mixture. To prevent sticking, add a touch of oil to your hands prior to doing so.
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon and form balls that sit nicely in the palm of your hand.
- Roll in shredded coconut and chill in the fridge before serving.
Recipe developed by Head Honcho Steph Lowe and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Steph & Elyse here.